Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hospital Stay


My sweet Oliver sure did give us a scare 2 weeks ago. He was 15 days old when we had to make a trip to the ER. He woke up running a fever and in obvious pain from his belly, so I made a call to his pediatrician's office asking if we could move our original appointment up and be seen first thing that morning (he was supposed to have his 2 week appointment that day).  His doctor happened to be in the office early, so she informed me that since he was so young that we would have to go to the ER and to pack our bags because it will be a 48 hour minimum stay.  Since he wasn't showing serious symptoms at this point we weren't moving very quickly.   Ben and I got up and got Parker ready for school and both took showers. I decided to call my mom to come help with Oliver while Ben was taking P to school and I was showering. By the time my mom had gotten to my house Oliver had thrown up 2x.  I went ahead and got in the shower while my mother dressed Oliver. She ended up changing him twice because he threw up some more. By the time I got out of the shower my mom seemed a little more concerned and said that we needed to get to the ER now. Within a matter of minutes Oliver went from just running a fever and throwing up to a completely different child. His coloring turned white/blue and he was foaming from the nose and mouth. We still are not certain where all this mucous came from because he was not congested in the least bit. We quickly jumped in the car to head to the ER before Ben made it home from taking Parker to school (thank goodness we live so close to the hospital). By the time we pulled up to the ER I was a nervous wreck. This child did not look good. Coloring was bad, having difficulty breathing, throwing his head back. Thank goodness my mom was with me. She sat in the back and tried to keep him stimulated on our short drive to the ER.
Once we got to the ER my mom went to park the car as I ran in with Oliver. Apparently I missed the receptionist, but must have seemed panicky because a triage nurse rushed over to me to assist. Once she saw the shape that Oliver was in she took him out of my arms and brought him back to a trauma room. At this point, Ben and my mom are both parking cars and I am having to witness 3 nurses and 1 doctor sticking tubes down by baby's nose and throat, starting IVs in his little hand and hooking him up to monitors. Finally Ben got there and he and I just stood back and watched as they drew blood, took a urine sample, got a mucous sample, took X-rays, did a Cat Scan and did a spinal tap (we left the room for that). In my 32 years of life, I have never had that much done to me and my poor 2 week old was having to go through being pricked and poked in his hand, head, arm, foot, and back. 
We finally got a room around 1:00pm. Our cousin Jennifer was the Charge Nurse on the Peds floor that day, so she got us a nice quiet room, handpicked our nurse and extra cleaned our room. The first results came back as negative RSV and no initial sign of meningitis.  Once up in our room they hooked Oliver up to an IV for his 48 hours of antibiotics. We had a very sleepless first night. We were either up nursing or getting vitals checked. I asked the next evening if they could schedule his vital checks around our nursing time so that we could both get some rest. Needless to say we were exhausted and ready to go home. Day 2 in the hospital Oliver was still running a fever but our sample showed no bacteria growth!!  By Day 3 we still had no growth and NO FEVER. We were going to be discharged that afternoon!!
The Doctors could not give us an exact diagnosis, but they believe he caught a virus (probably stomach and that is why he was throwing up). We are very lucky that all he had was a virus and nothing more serious. We are definitely counting our blessings that we only had to spend 2.5 days in the hospital. What is impressive to me is that when we were discharged from the hospital after birth, Oliver weighed 7lbs 14ounces. When we went to the ER he was 9lbs 4oz. When we were discharged for the 2nd time he was 9lbs 7oz. Two days later we had to have a follow up appointment and the child weighed 9lbs 14oz.  Even after being sick and having to stay in the hospital he never lost weight. I must be producing butter instead of milk.
3 weeks later we are happy and healthy, with a little gas. Ok, A LOT OF GAS. But we can handle the gas, just no more hospital stays. 

No comments: