Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Welcome Home



Welcome Home, James Oliver Wilson. What a long 10 months it has been; but worth every ache, pain, sleepless night, indigestion, crankiness, that came with being your mama. 


On the night that you were born your dad was not feeling good. Actually he was feeling so bad that he was in bed at 6:00 that evening. I had a random burst of energy and actually cooked dinner, bathed your brother, unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned up the house, and did a little laundry. By 8:00 that evening I was exhausted and was falling asleep on the couch. That is until BOTH of your grandmothers came a knocking to bring food and pick up pumpkins. Once they left I was wide awake. By 9:00 your dad was asking for some meds so naturally I get him some NyQuil. Yes, this is Murphy's Law at its best. 

By 11:00 I decided that I had watched enough of 19 kids and counting and was going to go to bed in the back bedroom since I didn't want to risk catching whatever your father had. I fell asleep for about 30 minutes and then awoke to some pretty intense contractions. These were stronger and more painful then usual. I then pull out my phone and start timing them. Yep, just what I thought. They were about 5 minutes apart. So what do I do? I lay there and start texting my friend on the West Coast, since I knew that she would be awake (she is 2hrs behind). I kept thinking to myself that I am going to be exhausted trying to deliver this baby with no sleep and so is your dad. By 12:45 I knew it was probably time to wake your dad and go to the hospital. So I go into our bedroom and say "Ben, I think it is time to go to the hospital."  His response "You have got to be kidding me." Here I am in labor, worried that he is going to be so drowsy from his drug induced sleep, that I told him to go back to sleep for a bit .  I was going to shower and get all my bags ready. Well, about 2 minutes of showering he comes in and ever so politely tells me "save me some hot water." 
By 1:15 I finally call Granna and Daddy Jim to tell them it is Go Time and they quickly make their way to our house so that Daddy Jim could stay with Parker.  
By 1:30 we were checking into labor and delivery.  Your dad contacted Cousin Julie and she made sure that we were in good hands until she could get up to the hospital. 
From 1:30-3:00 I was hooked up to monitors, was having some pretty intense contractions and was given a epidural and my water broke!
Shortly after receiving the epidural my blood pressure dropped (I was warned this would happen) and caused me to feel extremely nauseous and lightheaded. Your Granna said I turned as white as a sheet. All I could remember was saying, please take this epidural line out of me. I don't feel good. Cousin Julie got me some meds and everything under control in matter of minutes. Thank Goodness!!
After that episode I was able to rest for an hour or two and was hoping I would make it until 7am when Dr. Samples was on call. 
At 7:15 Dr. Samples checked me and I was 10 centimeters!!! Almost time to start pushing. I ended up pushing for 45 minutes (which is short compared to your brother). 
At 8:15am you made your grand entrance into this world. You were so quiet, but so alert. Everyone in the room commented on how healthy you were because your umbilical cord was huge and your nails were like talons, so long.  You weighed in at 8lbs 7oz and 19inches long. In my books, Perfect!


No comments: